Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Still didn't go grocery shopping- BUT I cooked!!!

So yet again we didn't go grocery shopping. I almost got motivated to go but then this afternoon found out there was a shotting at that mall I went to on Monday (after PF Chang's). SO that kind of distracted us... BTW from what I hear no one was hurt thankfully but when there's a major crisis happening like 5 miles from your home, paying attention to the latest breaking news becomes a priority. Anyhow, still managed to eat and eat vegan. Of course eatting vegan at home is fairly easy as about the only non-vegan things I buy are the pets' food LOL. (And yes I've looked into vegetarian pet food- had my adopted greyhound on Nature's Recipe Vegetarian Formula but that didn't work out. DON'T ASK lol... cats are total carnivores so I haven't even gone there with my tabby.)
So today I ended up making a quasi-fried rice dish. My rice steamer was dirty, so I had to try to make rice the old fashioned way, which is not my forte. (Just ask my MIL- word of advice: do NOT try to get on your HS boyfriend's mother's good side by cooking AND then proceeding to ruin one of her pans by burning rice- yikes!) I boiled 1 cup organic brown rice in two cups water and cooked it until it was mostly dry (didn't want to risk burning it so the rice wasn't sticky nor fluffy). Then I sauted 1 chopped onion with a chopped carrot and 3 small chopped zuchinis. I added a small handful of frozen corn for color (would have also added frozen peas if I had any). When that was lightly browned, I put it aside and sauted a 14 oz package tofu (organic as were the veggies and the sunflower oil I cooked them in). I "scrambled" the tofu to be egg like. You can also add turmeric powder to make it look yellow like eggs but I didn't have any. I grated some fresh ginger (which is awesome b/c it keeps so long much like onions, carrots and zuchinni) and a clove of garlic into the tofu. I mixed in the rice and veggies, letting it stream off some liquid for a bit. Finally I served it with liberal amounts of soy sauce (organic of course as to avoid GMOs). Too bad I didn't make a larger batch- it was good and would have froze well:)

No comments:

Post a Comment